월간에세이 - 그림이 있는 에세이 "세계속에서 나" (1999년)

박철 0 1469

세계 속에서 나

그림 / 박철

현대인은 정치 경제 사회 문화 스포츠 등 모든 분야를 범 세계적인 범주 속에서 생각하고 판단되어야 하는 시대에 살고 있다.

이런 시대 속에서 그림도 예외일 수는 없으며 많은 작가들은 새로운 가치관을 생각 하여야 될 것 같다. 내국인에게 많은 찬사와 칭찬을 받는다 해도 외국인에게 외면시 된다면 결코 만족 할 만한 그림이라 생가 되질 않는다. 서양은 물론 과거에 보지 못한 독창적인 개성과 철학을 갖고 표현된 그리고 국내외 많은 사람들로부터 좋은 평가를 받을 수 있는 객관적인 표현의 그림이야말로 좋은 그림이라 생각된다.

이러한 상황 속에서 나는 한지라는 우리의 전통적인 종이를 현대회화에 접목시키고 있다. 한지는 날씨의 변화에 따라 다르게 나타나 숨쉬는 종이, 또 숨쉬기 때문에 천년을 가는 종이라고 한다. 물성 또한 가변적이며 수용적인 특성을 갖고 있고 표면은 우리 민족의 정서가 담긴 듯 수줍어하는 느낌, 가칠하며 담백한 느낌이 든다. 이 모든 것들이 기계화된 사회 속에서 조금이나마 자연과 호흡하고 일치될 수 있는 쉼터로서 갖는 한지의 매력이 아닐까 한다.

내가 즐겨 다루고 있는 그림의 소재는 여러 농산물을 말리고 탈곡할 때 쓰는 멍석, 독이나 시루를 놓는 깔판으로서의 맥반석, 작은 집기나 물건들을 올려놓는 작은 멍석 등 이루 헤아릴 수 없이 많이 있다.

옛날부터 서민들의 잔치날 여러 사람들이 마당에 모여 즐거움을 나눌때 항시 멍석이 있어왔다. 만들 때는 농번기가 지난 한가로운 겨울날 볏짚을 일일이 꼬아서 만든 것이다. 많은 노력과 정성이 깃든 것이어서 우리 서민들의 애한이 담긴 것이라 하겠다. 그 모양은 굵은것, 가는것, 둥근것 등 그 반복적 형태가 모노톤의 현대회화를 보는 듯 첨단적 표현을 이루고 있다. 또한 나의 그림 속 바이올린의 모습은 다분히 귀족적이고 서양적이며 여성의 여체를 연상하는 여성적인 형태를 이루고 있다. 이와 같이 서민적인 것과 귀족적인 것, 동양과 서양 등 도저히 함께 어울릴 수 없을 것 같은 만남과 충돌이 한 화면 속에서 훌륭한 앙상블(Ensemble) 를 이루고 있다는 것은 아이러니가 아닐 수 없다.

요즈음 급변하는 시대 속에서 인간이 만든 문명의 이기들은 하루가 다르게 변화와 발전을 거듭하고 있다. 그러나 문명이 발전하면 할수록 인간은 자연과 인간성의 회복을 갈구하고 좋아하는 이중적인 면을 보인다. I.T. 시대라는 우리의 젊은이들이 전통한복이다, 전통놀이다, 국악이다, 많은 관심을 갖고 즐기고 행하는 것을 보면서 느낀 점이다. 결국 인간은 발전된 문명과 과거 전통적인 것들에 대한 향수, 이들 양극 속에서 살아가고 있다 할 것이다.

세계 여러 도시에서 개최되고 있는 아트페어(세계 화랑 미술제)에 우리의 화랑들도 꾸준히 참가하고 있다. 이 화랑제에 서구인들은 작들과 비슷한 소재나 재료를 갖고 표현된 것보다는 한국의 전통적인 소재를 갖고 작품화 된 것에 많은 관심을 보이고 있다. 다시 말해서 일상적일 수 있겠지만 가장 한국적인 것이 가장 세계적이고 첨단적이다라는 말이다

​I am in the World

Modern people live in an era where all fields, such as politics, economy, society, and culture, should be considered and judged in a global category.  In this era, many artist should think about new values of their works. Even if you receive a lot of compliment and praise from the Koreans, it will not be a satisfactory art works if you look at them. I think that expressed with original personality and philosophy not seen in East and West as well as in the past. The best of art works should be more accurate objectiveness of expression that can be evaluation.  In this context, I am combining our traditional paper called "Hanji" with modern paintings. Hanji is different according to the change of the weather, and it is said to be breathing paper. The material properties are also variable and receptive, and the surface feels as if the emotions of our nation.  I think that all of this is the charm of Korean paper, hanji will be as a shelter to breathe and reconcile with nature in a mechanized society.  The art works materials, which I enjoy dealing with is a lot of irregularities such as straw amt which is the grain on the mat, it will be dry it out from out naturally dry. And the jar, the elvan as a pallet for laying streamer(earthenware), the place on tiny stool such as small straw mat, objects or things.
From the time to time the common people's feast special day, Many people have gathered in the yard to have fun at all times, they are setting in the straw mat. During the farming season, the people gather made by twisting rice straws on. They want to share the labor and loneness.  It is filled with a lot of effort and sincerity. The straw mat and twisting straw rope's shape is thick, thin, round, and its repetitive form is like a modern painting or art works of monotone.  In addition, the violin in my painting is much more aristocratic, western, and feminine, reminiscent of a woman's body.  In this way, the ordinary and noble thing or east and west, that could be ironic that combing together. This is the conflict that seemed to be impossible to match together, but the work of art would be collaborating that aristocratic forming a good ensemble in one screen. Rapidly changing in these days, human beings' the selfishness that things of human civilization are changing and developing differently every day. But the more civilization develops, the more the human is craving for the recovery of nature and humanity. What I thought about that our young I.T.(information Technology) generation, very much enjoys the traditional way things that wear traditional Hanbok(Korean Traditional clothes), play a traditional play, listening traditional Korean music.  Eventually, humans begins will live in the developed civilization at the same time, missing  the nostalgia for the past traditional ones.  Our Korean galleries are also participating in the Art Fair (World Gallery Art Festival) held in various cities around the world.  Westerners in this gallery have shown a lot of interest in their works made with Korean traditional materials rather than expressed with materials and materials similar to their works.  In other words, it may be ordinary, but " the most globalization is most Korean ways."

0 Comments