한국적 세계성(韓國的 世界性) - 김정옥(연극 연출가) (2018)

박철 0 2,859

한국적 세계성(韓國的 世界性)

김 정 옥 (대한민국예술원 회원 / 연극연출가)

박철의 그림을 처음 만난 것은 10여 년 전 일이다.

한지를 이용한 작업인데 주로 바이올린을 주제로 한 작업이었다. 나의 관심을 끈 것은 회화라 할 수도 없고 그렇다고 한지를 이용한 조각이라고도 할 수 없는, 말하자면 회화와 조각이 만난 입체적 회화라는 생각이 들었다. 또한, 악기를 주로 주제로 함으로써 회화와 음악의 만남을 추구하고 있었다고 할까, 부조된 바이올린에서 음악의 선율이 흘러나올 것 같은 느낌을 받았다. 한지와 서양 악기의 만남, 조각과 회화의 만남, 그것만으로도 충분히 흥미 있는 작업이라고 생각되었다. 그러나 그것은 미술애호가의 장식 미에 대한 흥미의 경지를 넘어서지 못한 것 같은 느낌이 없지 않았다.

언제부터인가 그는 서양 악기를 떠나 한국의 전통적 오브제에 관심을 보이기 시작했다. 그 중에서도 그가 한국적 멍석 또는 덕석에 관심을 가짐으로써 새로운 창조적 시야를 넓히기 시작한 것이다. 멍석과 덕석 등에 숨겨진 한국적 추상의 세계를 찾아내어 그것을 세계성을 지닌 입체적 추상화의 세계로 넓혀 갔다고 생각된 것이다. 그 추상의 세계는 한국적 오브제에서 추출되고 그냥 작품에 옮겨진 것이 아니라 작가의 내면의 세계, 어쩌면 잠재적 의식의 세계를 거쳐 새로이 창조된 추상의 세계일지도 모른다. 박철의 창조적 시야에 한국적이면서도 세계성을 지닌 추상의 세계가 전개된 것이다.

이번에 성남아트센터 큐브미술관에서의 박철 초대전을 보고 다양해진 그의 일련의 작업이 회화의 틀을 뛰어넘어 총체적 미술 작업을 지향하고 있다는 인상을 받은 동시에 가장 한국적인 것이 세계적이라는 것을 작품을 통해 보여주고 있다는 느낌을 받았다. 비단 미술의 세계만이 아니라 한국 예술의 핵심적인 과제는 우리의 예술적 전통의 수용과 현대화라 할 수 있다. 전통의 수용 없이는 뿌리 없는 서구 예술의 모방 내지는 아류를 면할 수 없다. 전통의 현대적 수용은 한국 예술의 숙명적 과제이다. 전통을 수용하는 동시에 세계와 만나는 이율적 과제를 한국 예술은 풀어나가야 하고 그 과정에서 한국적인 것과 서구적인 것의 충돌은 불가피하다.

그 충돌에서 A+B=AB로 해답을 찾는 것은 안이한 매너리즘이고 A+B에서 AB가 아닌 창조적 C를 추구해야 한다고 믿는다. 세계성은 쉽게 이루어지는 것이 아니라 양자의 충돌에서, 말하자면 제 3 의 해답이 나왔을 때 가능하다. 전통의 단순한 수용도, 서구미술의 아류가 되는 것도 거부하고 제 3 의 세계로 영토를 넓혀 나가야 한다. 박철은 이번 전시회에서 제 3 의 창조적 추상의 영토에 시야를 넓혀가고 있고 그 영토는 무한히 확대될 수 있는 가능성이 있다고 생각한다.

미술 평론가도 아닌 자가 이런 글을 쓰는 것은 잘못이고 월권일지도 모른다. 그래서 성남아트센터 큐브미술관에서 원고 청탁이 왔을 때 주저했으나, 한편으로는 우리 미술계도 미술평론가나 전문가만이 발언권이 있는 것이 아니고 순수한 애호가나 소비자의 의견을 때로는 들어야 한다는 생각에서 원고 청탁을 수용한 것이다. 사실 예술의 장르는 엄격한 경계나 벽이 있는 것이 아니고 장르 간에 서로 넘나드는 것이 현대적 추세라 할 수 있다. 그런 의미에서 전문가나 미술평론가가 아닌 입장에서 보다 자유로운 의견을 내놓을 수도 있다.

박철은 이번 전시회를 통해서 세계적인 작가로 인정받는 길을 열어놨다고 나는 생각한다. 그러나 가능성이 가능성으로 끝나지 않고 현실화하기 위해서는 미술평론가와 화랑의 후원, 미술평론가의 예술적, 학술적 작업과 화랑의 상업성이 뒷받침해주어야 하는 것은 물론이지만 본인에게도 창조적 사기성이 있어야 한다고 생각한다. 자기의 작품을 이론적으로 포장하고 주장하는 창조적 사기성이 있어야 한다.

이를테면 한국의 애호가가 아닌 외국의 애호가가 박철의 이번 전시회를 봤을 때 그들은 박철의 작업에서 멍석과 덕석으로 연관시키지 않고, 원초적이면서도 강력한 호소력을 가진 추상의 세계를 발견할 것이다. 연후에 그들은 멍석과 덕석이 박철의 작업에 영향을 주었다고 느낄지 모른다. 그러나 박철이 멍석과 덕석의 작가로 끝나서도 안 되고 포장되어서도 안 된다. 뭔가 창조적 사기성이 발동되어야 한다고 생각한다.

예술적 창조는 다소간의 사기성이 가미되어야 한다고 누군가는 말한 것 같은데 여기서 말한 사기성은 일반적인 사기성과는 다른 의미를 갖는다고 볼 수 있다. 자기의 작품을 너무 정직하게 설명하지 말라는 뜻인지 모른다. 박철의 작품은 서구의 상징적인 캔버스에서 탈출해서 한지라는 자유로운 새로운 공간을 만났다. 박철의 작업은 새로운 공간에서 창조적 새로운 작업으로 포장되어야 한다

A Korean Sense of Globalism 

Kim Jeong-ok, Member of the National Academy of Arts, Theater Director 

It’s been 10 years since I first encountered Park Chul’s paintings.

These works of art were created with Korean mulberry paper, hanji, mainly using the violin as a thematic object. His works were neither paintings nor sculptures made using hanji, but I felt that a three-dimensional painting combining painting with sculpture, which was interesting to me. Also, his works seemed to pursue the merging of painting and music, making me feel as if a melody would suddenly ring out from the relief violin. The encounter between traditional Korean paper and a Western musical instrument, and the encounter between sculpture and painting; I thought that these aspects alone were enough to render his works fascinating. However, the fascination, I believed, would be limited to art connoisseurs.

At some point, Park abandoned Western musical instruments to explore his interest in traditional Korean objects. With a particular focus on straw mats (meongseok) and round straw mats (deokseok), he began to broaden his creative vision. I believe that he discovered a universe of Korean abstract art that was hidden in the straw mats, and broadened it into a world of three-dimensional abstract paintings with a global nature. This abstract world was not simply extracted from Korean objects and then transferred to his works, but rather underwent the artist’s inner self, or his unconscious, to bloom as a new abstract world. Park Chul’s creative vision saw the emergence of an abstract world that is both Korean and global. 

Upon viewing Park Chul’s invitational exhibition at Cube Art Museum of Seongnam Arts Center, I received the impression that the series of artwork created by Park aims toward a holistic process of artistic creation beyond the frame of painting, while simultaneously showing that the most Korean of aspects can also be the most global. The key challenge for Korean art and the fine art circles is the acceptance and modernization of artistic tradition. Art without acceptance of tradition is no more than mimicking or imitating Western art. Modern acceptance of tradition is a fateful challenge for Korean art. Korean art must resolve the antinomic challenge of accepting tradition while encountering the world at large, a process that may necessitate conflict between the Korean and the Western.

I believe that seeking the answer to this conflict through the simple equation of A + B = AB constitutes complacent mannerism, and the answer needs to be a creative C instead. Globalism is not easy to achieve. It is achieved only when a third solution is drawn from the conflict between the two sides. Korean artists should expand their realms into this third domain, refusing to simply accept tradition or become an imitator of Western art. At this exhibition, Park Chul is broadening his vision into the third realm of creative abstraction, and I believe that this realm is capable of infinite expansion.  

I’m not an art critic and maybe not qualified to write this kind of review. So, I was hesitant when the museum asked me to write a review, but I accepted as I felt that not only art critics and experts should have a voice in the art circles, and that the circle should also listen to art connoisseurs and consumers on occasion as well. Indeed, the contemporary trend is that there is no strict boundary or wall between artistic genres, and artists often cross between genres. In this sense, people who are not experts or art critics may voice their opinions even more freely.

I believe that Park Chul has opened the way to be recognized as a global painter with this exhibition. To make this possibility come true, there is a need for support from art critics and galleries, artistic and academic works by art critics, and commercial efforts by the galleries themselves, as well as, I believe, a capacity for creative fraudulence, to envelop and assert his own works theoretically.  

If non-Korean art connoisseurs saw this exhibition, they would not associate it with traditional Korean straw mats and round straw mats, only discovering a primitive and extremely appealing abstract world. Maybe later on, they might think his works were influenced by straw mats and round straw mats. However, Park Chul must not end nor become glamorized solely as a straw mat artist. I believe that this is where a measure of creative fraudulence is necessary.

Someone said that a degree of fraudulence is required for artistic creation, and fraudulence here has a different meaning than the word we normally use. It might mean that a painter doesn’t have to give an honest explanation for his or her artwork. Escaping from the canvas, which symbolizes the Western world, Park’s works have encountered a new free space, consisting of hanji. Park Chul’s works should be repackaged as new original works in a new space. 

Comments