한지의 특성과 가래질 (farming)

박철 0 415

한지의 특성과 가래질 (farming)

한지는 사계절이 분명한 우리의 산하에서 자란 닥나무 껍질로 제작된 종이이다. 백번의 사람 손을 거쳐야 만들어 진다하여 일명 백지(白紙) 라고도 한라 한다. 우리 옛 선인들은 천은 오백년 가고 한지는 천년을 간다하여 견오백 지천년 이라 했다. 

현재의 다양한 현대미술 속에 나는 한지 부조라는 독창적인 방법을 창안 오늘에 이르고 있다.

40여년 한지로만 작업하다 보니 한지 조형의 성형, 자연 염료의색, 견고성, 보존성 등 작가 인생 후반기인 이제야 비로소 많은 시행착오 끝에 나만의 방법을 터득, 한지 부조의 달인이 된 듯하다.

그동안 창호, 멍석, 떡살 등 사라져가는 전통적 소재와 서양적 바이올린을 소재로 한국성의 현대화와 동·서양의 충돌과 만남을 표현 하고 있다.

최근에는 농부들이 논이나 밭에서 개토작업을 할 때 삽과 곡괭이가 지나간 자리 그 흔적을 작업에 끌어 들인 것이다. 그 무의식의 행위는 땅의 기운과 땀이 만나 잠자는 땅에 생명을 부어 넣는 행위이다.

나는 이 굴곡지고 힘이 넘치고 변화무쌍한 극적 상황 중 가장 조형적 힘의 장면을 포착, 한지 부조라는 나만의 조형언어로 표현 하고 있으며 작품의 의미는 각자 감상자의 시각에서 느끼고 즐기길 바랄뿐이다.

Hanji is a traditional Korean paper handmade from the inner bark of mulberry trees grown in Korea, which is a country with four distinct seasons.  We also call this kind of paper Baek-ji (白紙: One Hundred Paper), as Hanji requires one hundred steps of hand-processed procedure.  Plain Hanji feels soft and light, yet its durability is known to last a thousand years.  That is why our ancestors believed that a fabric would last five hundred years, while hanji  would last a thousand years.  

Living in the era of diverse modern art, I have been able to create an ingenious method of casting(relief), using Hanji.  Having dealt with Hanji for over 40 years that entailed countless trial and error, I finally seem to have mastered handling and treating Hanji in its best formative molding, creating natural-dyed colors, with utmost durability and preservability.  

During my career as a Hanji artist, I have used several traditional objects in my works - such as traditional Hanji windows found in now-defunct thatched-roof Korean houses, straw mats, and rice cake molds that are no longer being used these days. On the other hand, I have also used violin as a symbol of western influence in Korean modernization – as an example of harmony and collision between the eastern and western world.  

My recent works are reflective of the Korean farmers’ labor and sweat poured into renewing the soil with shovel ad pickax, which enlivens the barren land. 

My artistic efforts as a Hanji artist can be compared to those of our farmers cultivating the land.  I wished to capture and express the extremely powerful and  kaleidoscopic Hanji casting in my own unique way.  I now leave it up to you, viewers, to interpret and enjoy my unique piece of art.   

Thank you.   

가래질  Farming 

“삼천리 강산에 새봄이 왔구나 농부는 밭을 갈고 씨를 뿌린다” 는 흥겨운 노랫말이 있다.

산과 들에는 화사한 봄꽃 겨울잠을 뚫고 솟아나는 어린잎들, 논과 밭에는 농부들과 순박한 소들이 농부의 손에 이끌려 쟁기질을 한다.

오랫동안 잠든 땅에 씨앗을 심기위해 개토작업을 하는 것이다. 나는 이 쟁기가 지나간 자리를 또는 흔적을 작업에 끌어 들이는 것이다.

땀과 땅이 만나 이 굴곡진 흔적을 한국인의 정서가 담긴 한지와 고서를 이용하여 전혀 새로운 물성으로 한국적 미감을 표현하고저 한다.

Comments